to performing artists
global connections, local programs
WHAT WE DO
- ENGAGEMENT -
drums, percussion, music & dance
In-School / Out of School programming services based on AfroLatin traditions of music and dance.
A talent development agency, representing local and international performing artists.
We expand global horizons for students and give them all they need to learn and keep practicing, every day of the year.
how we do it
• teaching how to count
Rhythm around the world starts with toddlers who learn to count. It's part of human nature.
• interactive performance
We bring the drums, the audio and the video to share with kids what music looks like in Cuba and Africa. They get to play along and find their own talent for instruments, singing and dancing.
• local talent
We connect with local music teachers and students in band and orchestra to support community music programming.
• global talent
We represent some of the leading performing artists in jazz and world music to come to the neighborhood for 2 day residencies.
why we do it
• Schools at their limit
Engagement and motivation of kids outside of school is essential.
• culturally relevant arts
European music can easily include the AfroLatin traditions.
• youth empowerment
Increased skills and focus come easily with a music and rhtyhm practice.
• global connections
Communities around the world are finding a common voice and purpose through new cross-cultural music.
Cuban community center .
Rumba is the community.
La rumba es la comunidad.
We begin with middle school age.
Empezamos con la edad de escuela intermedia.
who we are
Bevan Suits, Director
• Many years experience designing science museums and environments for youth and public engagement, around the world.
• Student of AfroCuban percussion since 1989. Student of Los Muñequitos de Matanzas, Mike Spiro, Graham Lear and others.
• Fluent in Spanish.
• Community activist and collaborator with Cuban, Hispanic, African American, Native American cultures.
rhonda cummings, partner
• Working with Mr. Suits on programming initiatives since 2020.
• National leader of E3C3 youth initiatives: Educate Equip Empower Communicate Collaborate Connect.
• Nonprofit Scholarship Director representing hundreds of black professionals in education, the church, business, technology and finance.
katherine mcvicker, partner
• Promoting a culture of performance + education in communities.
• Decades of experience representing some of the leading names in jazz and global music.
rod deberry, technology partner
• Developer of A Focused Path, an innovative online village to support students pathway to success in school.
matt pickart, music education advisor
• Professional violinist, representing new innovations in classical music.
• Co-Developer of international Clazz Festival, where classical musicians explore world music traditions.
• Prominent family of music educators in Beloit and Janesville, WI.
tracy silverman, featured artist in residence
"The greatest living exponent of the electric violin." - BBC
• Leading global innovator in electric violin.
• Featured soloist around the world in classical and crossover genres.
• Inventor of StrumBow violin method, so that classical musicians can find the groove.